We fiction writers face a lot of challenges and frustrations. Rejection letters, contradictory feedback from critique groups, writers block—plus, figuring out how the fiction writing industry works can be a daunting task. Should we go with traditional publishing or should we strike out on our own as indie authors and self-publish e-books?
Some fiction writers run around from conference to conference, reading every how-to book available on how to write a novel. They join every writing group, critique group, and online forum they can find. If they don’t get published or if their e-book isn't an instant success, they will just curl up and die.
I call these writers “Desperate Writers.”
Other fiction writers have been so discouraged by rejections, so let down by critique groups, so disappointed by the lack of resources available to them, that they can’t imagine that there are any real solutions. They turn up their noses at the idea of a freelance fiction editor or a writing coach, convinced that it would be a waste of time and money to even consider it. Some even think they can simply self-publish an e-book without having it professionally published!
These writers, I affectionately call “Writing Cynics.”
If you’ve ever felt like either of these, it doesn’t mean you are a bad person or a bad writer. We all feel like Desperate Writers or Writing Cynics on occasion. But neither is the best place to be in our writing careers. There is a better way of handling our fiction writing challenges—a way to improve our fiction writing craft, a way to become the writing professionals we were meant to be.
The problem here is not with you. The problem is that becoming a successful fiction writer or published novelist is not a formula. It’s not like you can go from newbie to novelist in five easy steps. Writing fiction and getting it published is a personal journey that no two people travel exactly the same way. Too often, writers flounder and make the same costly mistakes that make the journey longer and more painful than it needs to be.
But what if you had a guide? Someone who has already experienced success in their writing career, someone who knows the fiction writing industry…what if there was a published novelist willing to give you a helping hand, advice, feedback? That could go a long way in helping solve the challenges that we all face as fiction writers.
That’s what the Fiction Fix-It Shop is all about—freelance fiction editing. Our fiction editors and writing coaches are all published novelists, ready and waiting to give you the support, encouragement, and help you need to reach your writing goals. We are experts in helping people like you—people who write full-length adult and YA fiction.
We would LOVE to help every single writer in the world, but that’s just not realistic. That’s why we’ve chosen to focus on certain writers we are confident we have the experience and skills to help.
The Fiction Fix-It Shop is a great solution for you if…
- You are a new writer AND you learn best by individual guidance. Our writing coach service may be right for you if you prefer to learn through one-on-one coaching and mentoring. Check out our Writing Coach service for more information.
- You are an intermediate or advanced fiction writer, or a published novelist. If you’re still a newbie, there may be some of our editing services or coaching services that will be helpful to you, but you might instead consider checking out our Resources pages for some helpful products and information to get you started.
- You write Adult or Young Adult full-length fiction. When it comes to your writing career, you deserve the very best help available. Because we are all published novelists in either adult or YA fiction, we are fiction editing experts. Our exclusive focus on full-length adult and YA fiction means our fiction editors have the understanding of the fiction market and the experience to help you become the very best fiction writer you can be.
- You intend to be published by a royalty-paying, traditional publisher or e-publisher. Despite the new developments in publishing, traditional publishing is still a viable and legitimate route for writers. It's quite a challenge, but we like a good challenge!
- You are an Independent Author planning to self-publish digitally: We now welcome independent ("indie") authors who are planning to embrace the publishing revolution by self-publishing an e-book. Professional editing is an important part of delivering a high-quality e-book that can compete against the flood of other e-books being published every day. We can help you get your book polished from top to bottom, including substantive editing, line editing, and copy editing.
If that’s you, then click here to learn more about what the Fiction Fix-It Shop can do for you!
Or contact us now to get started!